Tuesday 16 June 2020

Chants And Noise

A Midsummer Tempest, xv.

D'Artagnan tells Barker that he will pray for Jennifer. Behind his back, Barker retorts:

"'Think'st thou thy Papist chants are aught but noise?
"'Would God that I could shun thy Nineveh!
"'Yet I will steel myself, will be a Jonah.'" (p. 127)

Which option is more plausible:

No deity?

A deity that heeds all sincere prayers, whichever divine name, language, liturgy, ritual formula etc are used?

A deity that is a bigot like Barker?

I suggest not only that the third option is the least plausible but also that it would not warrant any positive response from us.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Ah, D'Artagnan! We see yet again how well read Anderson was. And I have read Dumas' THE THREE MUSKETEERS.

I believe God heeds all sincere prayers. And I also believe it is God's wish for all mankind to be Catholic Christians. Freely and voluntarily, btw.

Finished rereading THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS today. With unusual speed for me. Next comes A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST. And probably the two Old Phoenix stories after that.

Ad astra! Sean