Thursday 18 June 2020

Charles I's Speech

A Midsummer Tempest, xxi.

Charles I's speech at the end of Chapter xxi:

"'There will be other times, my comrades.
"'There will be a day of trumpets.
"'This we must believe. Now when all flags guide
"'Corpses to the sea; and ships lie hollow
"'On a smoking shore, broken of bone,
"'And windy shadows weave a dark about
"'Tall widows turning whore to feed gashed children,
"'I must say that more days shall remain than
"'Hobnailed victors thieve. And if our iron's broken,
"'There's still ore - stones of our sharded cities
"'Lying free to sharpen it - and if you should perceive
"'Rust and the silence in us, do it silently.'" (p. 199)

I am not sure about this. The speech, printed and presented as if it were prose, seems to have the rhythm of blank verse but whether I have divided the lines correctly is another matter.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Too bad an expert poet like Anderson can't can't comment on and answer the doubt you expressed here!

Ad astra! Sean