Sunday 28 June 2020

Some Details

Good morning. We need a much better understanding of our own mental processes. A few days ago, while out walking, I suddenly remembered a recent post and realized that it contained a factual error so I prioritized correction of that error as soon as I had returned home. But why did that occur to me just then?

The blog is a perpetual work in progress. There is always more to be said and past posts often require minor alterations or corrections. Blog readers sometimes point out mistakes but how much remains unnoticed in references to works that maybe none of us has read or reread recently?

In Three Hearts And Three Lions, CHAPTER NINETEEN, Holger is pulled into a lake by a nixie. This prompts comparison with similar water-dwelling beings in other works by Poul Anderson and such comparisons will be made after another reading project that will consume some time probably today and tomorrow. I am trying to be on two computer screens at once. The changeable British weather is currently damp so maybe there will be some progress in new reading.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Sometimes I have noticed errors here, by both of us! I am still glad you pointed out really some major errors in my article revising Miesel's Chronology of Technic Civilization, about some of the Flandry stories. The errors there were too big to ignore and I felt compelled to do a major revision of the article.

And your comments about the nixie seen in THREE HEARTS reminded me, of course of THE BROKEN SWORD, THE MERMAN'S CHILDREN, THE KING OF YS, and "The Horn of Time the Hunter," "Sister Planet," etc. I could probably add others as well.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

The human mind is a kludge.

As witness the fact that no amount of copyediting can eliminate all errors in a manuscript, either spelling and punctuation, or continuity.

I've been publishing since 1984, and not once has there been a long-form book that didn't have some error I caught after it was out.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

My sympathies for the frustration you must have often felt about the blunders persistently lurking in your own works!

JRR Tolkien was notorious for being a perfectionist about his writings, which included efforts to detect and correct misprints and typos in them. Fans of THE LORD OF THE RINGS have worked hard at compiling and correcting these bloopers, as seen in Wayne Hammond and Christina Scull's 50th Anniversary edition of LOTR.

Ad astra! Sean