Sunday 14 June 2020

Shadow And Night

(The name of CS Lewis is barely legible on this FSF cover.)

Whereas CS Lewis propagated Christian theology, Poul Anderson imagined Ythrian theology. Ythrians of the New Faith take for granted that consciousness ends at death. On this crucial issue, I agree with them until such time as I am proved wrong by post-mortem experience although, even then, there would be a philosophical question as to whether a being that has my memories but exists after my death is identical with me. See Dead Men (Tell Tall Tales).

New Faith Ythrians see the shadow of God the Hunter across the future. Christians see the darkness of death but also (they believe) light beyond darkness. Lewis as first person narrator enters the mind of an entirely self-absorbed young woman where he hears a voice from outside:

"'Child, child, child, let me in before the night comes.'"
-CS Lewis, "The Shoddy Lands" IN Lewis, The Dark Tower and other stories (London, 1983), pp. 104-111 AT p. 110.

The voice is Reality which Lewis believed to be a Person. I do not believe either that the young woman's consciousness will continue forever after her death or that, if it did, it could be completely alienated from Reality. However, "The Shoddy Lands" reminds us of an obligation to transcend self and to respond to reality even under the shadow of God the Hunter.

6 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I was interested here to find out Lewis had sold at least one story to the MAGAZINE OF FANTASY AND SCIENCE FICTION. I wonder which one that was?

And I do believe the human soul and personality survives bodily death. Given that, I think it would be a "straining at gnats" to possibly doubt your post mortem soul is the same "personality" as what you are now.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

IF there is a soul in the body and IF it survives the body, then, yes, it, not the body, is the bearer of personal identity. But the Biblical concept of immortality is of a resurrected and glorified body, not of an inherently immortal soul.

"The Shoddy Lands," FSF, Feb '56;
"Ministering Angels," FSF, Jan '58.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But Catholic Christianity believes in both. And I don't believe anything in Scripture and Tradition contradicts belief in the immortality of the soul. I do agree the OT evidence for that is not as sharply defined as it is now. Briefly, the OT writers believed in some kind of existence in "Sheol."

I am very interested to know Lewis had two stories pub. by F&SF! I am not as familiar with his short stories as I should be.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

THE DARK TOWER AND OTHER STORIES contains 4 short stories and fragments of 2 novels.

Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I have composed a prayer based on "The Shoddy Lands":

"Please help me to let You in."

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I will keep that Lewis collection filed in my mind! THE DARK TOWER AND OTHER STORIES.

I'm most familiar with the concept of "dark towers" from Tolkien's works, used for the strongholds of Morgoth and Sauron.

And "Please helm to let You in" is a worthy prayer!

Ad astra! Sean