Saturday 27 June 2020

THATL, CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Three Hearts And Three Lions, CHAPTER SEVENTEEN.

Holger consults a magician who consults Ariel who will reappear in A Midsummer Tempest. The Old Phoenix sequence holds together well.

This chapter describes Sir Carahue's armor:

arabesqued corslet;
spiked helmet;
chainmail earflaps;
greaves;
leather boots -

- and his heraldic shield:

six-pointed star argent;
field azure;
border gules fleury or.

This time, I leave it as an exercise for blog readers to google the terminology.

OK. It is time for some other reading.

Addendum, same day, early afternoon: To complete the story so far about heraldry, Sir Carahue describes his old friend's arms as:

"'...either of an eagle, sable on argent, or of three hearts sanguine and three lions passant or.'"
-CHAPTER SIXTEEN, p. 106.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

As you may recall, I have two copies of THREE HEARTS AND THREE LIONS, one from 1961 and the other printed in 1998. And I only one typo or misprint,at the same location, in either edition. I wondered if you noticed this bit from Chapter Fifteen: "Northward, however, he saw the dim blue line of a much higher range, three of whose SHOWPEAKS seemed to float pale and disembodied in the sky." My thought was that "snowpeaks" would be correct. A term like "showpeaks" doesn't seem quite right.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

My London, 1961, paperback edition has "showpeak" although I missed it when reading through. I have spotted a few other such errors but not paused to draw attention to them.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

The only error I noticed was "showpeaks." And it stuck in my mind as rather odd.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

We have an autocorrect system in our minds that often elides mistakes without our being aware of it.

"Autocorrect is our enema", as the saying goes.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Too true! I have made far too many bloopers, for example, in my combox comments!

The Italians have a saying which is also a pun in their language: "The translator is a traitor."

Ad astra! Sean