Wednesday 18 December 2019

Circumstances

The Day Of Their Return.

When Mikkal inquires whether he might ask Erannath what has brought him here, the latter replies:

"'Circumstances.'" (8, p. 138)

Mikkal laughs and responds:

"'In other words, yes, I might ask, but no, I might not get an answer.'" (ibid.)

It is explained that Ythrians tend to be curt because much of their communication is nonverbal, through "...controllable quills."

Years ago, when I talked to a guy at a party, he summarized his life in Lancaster to date, saying a few times, "Circumstances changed..." I commented, "I like that 'Circumstances changed...,' because it can mean anything," and we both laughed. He knew what circumstances he referred to but it was not necessary to go into any details. That's life.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I was reminded of how, years later, we see Emperor Hans described as the "curtest of the Emperors."

Ad astra and Merry Christmas! Sean