Wednesday 29 May 2019

Summary And Details

OK. I might just possibly have encapsulated the intricate structure of Poul Anderson's Technic History here. To summarize:

I. League.
II. Ythrians, including an Ythrian history of the League.
III. The Flandry period.
IV. Three post-Technic periods.

What is remarkable is that any one of these four subsidiarity series, like the initial Polesotechnic League Tetralogy or the (originally) nine-volume Flandry period, would have comprised a major sf series in its own right. I find scriptural comparisons inevitable. The Samaritans accept only the Law (Torah), not also the Prophets and Writings, let alone the New Testament or the Book of Mormon, as canonical. There might be someone who has read the League Tetralogy but does not know about the rest of the History.

Apart from its grand historical sweep, the mega-series presents many detailed individual scenes like the trader team's arrival in a Hermetian forest (see Yet Another Realization) where we are informed about native trees like stonebark and rainroof. (Mirkheim, XV, p. 210) We appreciate each individual work and their interconnections.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I am not sure if Anderson's four post-Imperial stories in the Technic timeline are detailed enough to be truly considered a major series by themselves. I would stress how few they are and how we only get glimpses of the periods covered by the Long Night, the Allied Planets, and the Commonalty. I think we would need to KNOW they were parts of a longer "history" before we could extrapolate their meaning.

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I forgot to add I would have been very interested if any of the Samaritans in Israel might have been a fan of Anderson and dropped by here!

Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

We see some Jews in the works of Poul Anderson. Such as Commander Max Abrams, in ENSIGN FLANDRY. But no SAMARITANS.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
There are not many of them.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! I would need to look them up, but I don't think there are more than a few hundred Samaritans left.

Sean