Thursday 30 May 2019

Historical Records

In Poul Anderson's The Technic Civilization Saga, Volume III, Rise Of The Terran Empire:

p. 323 is an "AFTERWORD," signed by Hloch of the Stormgate Choth, The Earth Book Of Stormgate;

p. 324 is blank, which I dislike and consider unaesthetic;

p. 325 is an "INTRODUCTION," signed by Donver Ayeghen, President of the Galactic Archaeological Society.

Although I dislike the blank p. 324, I appreciate pp. 323 and 325 because they generate the impression that the Saga is compiled from diverse future historical sources. The Earth Book is published shortly after the Terran War on Avalon whereas the Galactic Archaelogical Society exists in a period long after the Terran Empire and possibly after several such empires since Ayeghen uses the phrase, "the First Empire." Who has researched all these sources and compiled the Saga?

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

The few times I had given any thought to "Donver Ayeghen," I felt a sense of vague dissatisfaction. Due, no doubt, to thinking the "Galactic Archaeological" not feeling quite convincing. But your comments does help to make me change my mind about that, esp. if we think of Donver Ayeghen living AFTER the time of the Commonalty.

Sean