Thursday 7 June 2018

Canoeing And Camping

For a month in 1942, Robert Anderson, his thirteen year old son and the supposedly nine year old Jack Havig holiday in the wilderness between the United States and Canada where they experience:

lakes, bogs and timber;
hushed sunrises;
light gold in the highest leaves and shivering on water;
birdsong;
rustling wind;
scents of evergreen;
a squirrel fed by hand;
blueberries and a bear in a bright forest opening;
gigantic moose;
translucent bat wings in the sunset;
dusk;
fires;
stories.

Jack is coming to terms with his father's death before it happens.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know, admire, and respect how many times we see Poul Anderson celebrating things like this canoeing and camping trip in THERE WILL BE TIME and many others of his works. Unfortunately, I'm far too much of a city boy to think I would enjoy such things. My loss, I know!

Sean