Thursday 21 June 2018

Are The Gods Miserly Or Generous?

I have quoted Manse Everard's remark that the gods are a miserly lot five, now six, times. See here.

Here is Malcolm Lockridge's equivalent reflection:

"Life was physically harder in some places, harder on the spirit in others, and sometimes it destroyed both. At most, the gods gave only a little happiness; the rest was mere existence. Taken altogether, he didn't think they were less generous here and now than they had been to him."
-Poul Anderson, The Corridors Of Time, CHAPTER SIX, p. 53.

"The gods" are a way of reflecting on "life."

Two friends that I have met in Pagan moots:

Nygel, a Wiccan high priest, refers to "the gods";

Andrea says that his deity is Fortuna, personified chance.

People personified external forces in order to get a handle on them and placate them. However, Fortuna is to be respected but never prayed to or entreated. Thus (I suggest), her temple is a half-way house between polytheism and atheism. She favors the brave - which Poul Anderson's heroes are.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Should I assume Nygel is a "hard" polytheist? He believes there are literally many pagan "gods"?

I have more respect for Andrea's belief in "Fortuna," which seems to lean more towards Classical Stoicism.

I agree with what you said about Anderson's heroes. They were not as passive or inert, as too many of us are. Rather, they refused to be daunted by adversity--they ACTED and changed their fortunes.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I would have to ask Nygel further but he refers to two, the Lord and Lady of Wicca, rather than to many.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I find this all rather confusing, what with distinctions needing to be made about "soft" and "hard" polytheists. And what Nygel said reminded me of the rather vaguely defined "Celtic" neo-paganism seen among the Mackenzies in Stirling's Change books.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
It doesn't bother me too much. I just get on with my own practice and listen with interest when others talk about theirs.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yes, but my thought was how can it be possible for there to be MANY eternal, uncreated "gods" when I believe a single unmoved Mover or First Cause to be a more logical possibility?

Sean

Jim Baerg said...

Sean:
What I recall of some polytheistic mythologies is that they include origin stories for their gods.
I. e. they *don't* believe in many eternal uncreated gods.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

I know, and I agree. Many forms of polytheism are confusing because they are among the more primitive types of religions.

Ad astra! Sean