Sunday 17 June 2018

On The Shelves

I walk past Waterstones Bookshop (see image and here) between Market Square and Blades Street so yesterday I went in to check the sf shelves: no Poul Anderson or SM Stirling but nevertheless Asimov's Complete Robot, his original three Foundation volumes and The Gods Themselves. Why does Asimov's future history stay on the shelves while Anderson's does not?

I forgot to check on James Blish but that was because I am used to him not being there either. My copy of Cities In Flight in one volume was published in 1981. I admit to not keeping up with most current sf. There was a new anthology of old stories about Mars, including Wells' "The Crystal Egg," which connects with The War Of The Worlds, and Ray Bradbury's "Ylla," the opening story of The Martian Chronicles. We are going for a long walk by the river. Back later.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too have noted, with irritation, how many of Asimov's unsatisfactory can still be found at Barnes & Noble (the US equivalent of Waterstones), instead of the far better stories of Anderson! Is it partly because of Asimov being considered one of the Big Three of Science Fiction (along with Heinlein and Clark)? I can only hope Anderson's estate is trying to keep his works from completely disappearing!

I really do need to keep myself more aware of current SF. Esp. in light of the Sad Puppies/Rabid Puppies protests against the politicization of science fiction by Politically Correct types.

And I hope to soon get a copy of Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER. And the third volume of the recollecting of Anderson's Psychotechnic Institute (NOT "League") stories interests me because that volume will contain three hitherto never before republished stories.

Sean