Sunday 24 June 2018

"Extra People"

"What do you do with your extra people?"
-Poul Anderson, The Corridors Of Time, CHAPTER SEVENTEEN, p. 152.

I discussed this question in The Useless.

The question is wrongly put. Only a manager or a member of an elite would refer to "extra people." That way of thinking can lead to "the termination of human lives without value." People are ends, not means. If there are four people in a car and only three packed lunches, then we say that there are too few lunches, not that there are too many people.

The Ranger masters and the Warden aristocrats have to be overthrown.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

While I agree both the Rangers and Wardens have serious flaws and defects and vices, I don't think overthrowing is always the way to go. I can imagine the conflict between the Rangers and Wardens eventually leading these societies being reformed. If only because the stresses and strains caused by their war compelled one or the other (or both) to initiate changes and reforms eroding away their worst elements. That, in fact, seems to have been what happened.

I went to Barnes and Noble last night. Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER is still not available, not until July 7. I did see two other books I might get: THE SPACE BARONS, by Christian Davenport; and THE JUDGE HUNTER, by Christopher Buckley.

I had hoped Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER would be out by now!

Sean