Monday 11 June 2018

Know A Man By His Heroes II

(Bismarck.)

Wallis regrets the loss of the achievements of:

Clive
Bismarck
Rhodes
McKinley
Lyautey
Indian fighters
Boers

He thinks that Bolsheviks and international Jews preached that the future was black. Bolsheviks believed that the future was multiracial. (I value Poul Anderson's vision of Daniel Holm working with Ythrians against the Terran Empire.) Wallis admires the Israelis as tough, clever fighters but adds that they are not related to the Biblical Hebrews. (Thus, they are not "international Jews.")

Max Abrams suggests here that Dominic Flandry read some:

Aristotle
Machiavelli 
Jefferson
Clausewitz
Jouvenal
Michaelis

I prefer Abrams' reading list to Wallis' leading white men - although I am not sure whether I have identified the last two on Abrams' list correctly.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think Otto von Bismarck's achievements, esp. the unification of Germany by Prussia, and it's consequences, to be the most FATEFUL to the world of what the men listed here accomplished. While I don't think Bismarck was a bad man, I am dubious about him. I completely disagree with his persecution, for example, of the Catholic Church during the Kulturkamft. Amd I have wondered if it would have been better if Germany had been unified by the Habsburg Empire.

I've read at least some of the writers listed by Max Abrams except Jefferson and Michaelis. And I've wondered if that last named writer was fictional, invented by Anderson to stand in for a future philosopher.

I suspect Commander Abrams had Bertrand de Jouvenel in mind, the author of works such as ON POWER, a copy of which I have.

Sean