Saturday 21 September 2024

Un-men

"Un-Man."

As if to confirm the previous post, Donner's captors between them disclose that:

their captive is not American Security so he must be an Un-man, even, as one of them affirms, the Un-man;

but this Un-man, who has made a lot of trouble for the UN's enemies, has been killed several times;

so it seems that the UN has a corps of physically identical "supermen" (p. 37) or, at least, of very able agents who have been disguised to look alike.

(They have not been disguised but that is how it seems to their enemies so far.)

Donner, disclosing nothing to his captors, thinks of the Un-men as "Brothers." (ibid.) We will learn later how they are brothers.

Superhero teams are a major part of superhero mythology so here is a potential sub-series for adaptation to both screen and comic strips. However, within the Psychotechnic History, "Un-Man" remains this single story.  

9 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think it is technically possible now for any of us to be cloned. A clone of you or me would be our twin brothers. But I don't know if anyone has been cloned, altho I strongly suspect some millionaire or billionaire has done that!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I have heard that clones might develop differently even though starting the same genetically.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Of course, because twins, no matter how similar to each other, will also have differences.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Twins do have differences. OTOH, even if raised separately, they have very strong -resemblances-. Human beings are a combination of genetic and environmental influences. To deny either is... ah, ill-advised.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I agree. And I would add that I believe twins can make different choices in unpredictable ways.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I have heard of cloned organisms growing up to look different but I don't know the details.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Nor I.

Ad astra! Sean

Jim Baerg said...

I heard something about Dolly the cloned sheep, aging faster than her clone-mother.
I don't know if later cloning attempts fixed the problem.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

I think I vaguely recall that. If so that would discourage the cloning of humans.

Ad astra! Sean