Monday 4 February 2019

Educational Blogging

Your friendly neighborhood blogger:

read a reference to Br'er Rabbit and the brier patch in Poul Anderson's Shield;

remembered a similar reference in Anderson's "Cold Victory";

googled Br'er Rabbit;

read the Wiki account;

reread and compared the two Anderson accounts;

eventually got the point;

in the process, found four other interesting features in "Cold Victory";

posted here.

Basically, blogging is interactive reading. Without it, I would have been condemned to a retirement of continued passive reading.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

"Passive" reading has its place, but so does "active" reading! And happened in two ways for me with the works of Poul Anderson. I actively became involved with Anderson's stories when I had the honor to correspond with him in a series of 24 letters, in most of which I commented on many of his stories and solicited his own remarks. The second way I actively interacted with Anderson's stories was in this blog, where you very kindly "published" 20 or so articles I wrote commenting on many of his works.

And I did that as well with S.M. Stirling's four Draka books when I compared his Draka to Anderson's Merseians, arguing they had some similarities in ambitions and "ideology." E.g., my article "Was The Domination Inspired By Merseia?" My view is that the Draka and the Merseians would have had it coming if they had ever bumped up against each other!

Sean

Sean