Sunday 11 November 2018

The Voyage Begins

Poul Anderson, Harvest Of Stars, 45-46.

There are two copies of download Guthrie. Several downloads, including Kyra and one of the Guthries, will travel "'...on the advance ship to Alpha Centauri.'" (45, p. 408) That ship is called Juliana Guthrie II and:

"Stars frosted the night where she reared; her height clove the Milky Way." (46, p. 413)

We collect descriptions of the Milky Way here and accounts of objects seen against the Milky Way here.

Notice how the theme of Harvest Of Stars has been totally transformed in recent chapters and posts. Guthrie is no longer dodging the Sepo but returning to Alpha Centauri. We are going somewhere at last.

For me, blogging is interactive (re)reading and has saved me from a retirement of merely passive (re)reading. Study of Poul Anderson's texts is necessary for an adequate appreciation of his works.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And this ACTIVE blogging by you has affected me as well! Because of both leaving comments in the comboxes and my occasional guest essays I too have been more actively engaging with the works of Poul Anderson. To say nothing of how your blogging has caused me to reread sooner than I otherwise would have many of Anderson's stories.

And I'm glad to have introduced you to the books of S.M. Stirling. Commenting on them in their own right and occasionally comparing them to Anderson's stories has also been illuminating.

Sean