Friday 23 November 2018

More Flecker

We have found James Elroy Flecker quoted by Poul Anderson, SM Stirling and Neil Gaiman.

In Anderson's The Fleet Of Stars:

Sleep not, my country: though night is here, afar
Your children of the morning are clamorous for war:
Fire in the night, O dreams!
Though she send you as she sent you, long ago,
South to the desert, east to ocean, north to snow,
West of these out to seas colder than the Hebrides I must go
Where the fleet of stars is anchored, and the young star-captains glow.
-copied from here.

Anderson quotes these lines between DRAMATIS PERSONAE and Chapter 1, p. 1, but he has "my children" where Flecker has "my country."

"We travel not for trafficking alone;
"By hotter winds our fiery hearts are fanned:
"For lust of knowing what should not be known,
"We take the Golden Road to Samarkand."
-quoted in 13, p. 157.

This stanza was recently discussed in the combox.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I can see why Anderson substituted "my children" for "my country," because the original words would not have fitted into the meaning of the story he wrote. And I noticed how "the fleet of stars" was in the last line you quoted of this sample of Flecker's poetry that you quoted.

Sean