Wednesday 16 May 2018

Through History With The Time Patrol And The Shadowspawn

In Poul Anderson's "Star of the Sea," some memorable passages describe the forested settings of the two camps that Time Patrol Agents Everard and Floris make in first century Europe. Rereading this story, I re-encounter the passages but find that I have already posted about them. See Two Camps and The Forest And The Past.

Since 21 January this year, we have mainly revisited Anderson's Technic History, then his Time Patrol series. The Complete Psychotechnic League, Volume III, is awaited next month. Meanwhile, I have begun to read A Taint In The Blood, Vol I of SM Stirling's Shadowspawn Trilogy. I anticipate some "fantastic reflections" on history.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I look forward to any comments you care to make about Stirling's A TAINT IN THE BLOOD. The author managed to make the DRAKA look better, by comparison!

While Stirling does mention THE LORD OF THE RINGS a few times, I don't recall any clear allusions to any science fiction authors. I was kinda hoping to come across some hints about Anderson in the Shadowspawm books, as he did in the Emberverse series.

But do look for the mentions Stirling makes of the Sarajevo assassination. And why it was important for the Shadowspawn.

Seam

S.M. Stirling said...

It's "secret history" rather than "alternate history" -- a different, and rather rarer, literary trope.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

That is interesting, your Shadowspawn books being a "secret history, not an alternate history. Yes, I don't recall any other works of fiction which quite fits that.

Sean

Nicholas D. Rosen said...

Kaor, Sean!

Have you read Michael Flynn’s IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND? I think that can be described as a secret history, and it’s a good book.

Best Regards,
Nicholas

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Nicholas!

No, unfortunately, I've never read IN THE COUNTRY OF THE BLIND, by Michael Flynn. I have read his EIFELHEIM and FALLEN ANGELS (co-authored with Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. EIFELHEIM is about a small town in the Black Forest of Germany where non human aliens crash landed in 1348. Just as the Black Death was devastating Europe.

Sean