Monday 7 June 2021

Solitude

"The Chapter Ends."

(Inappropriate cover image.)

Some of us, including me, can enjoy long periods of solitude although I would not choose it for the rest of my life. Kormt's self-imposed solitude begins well:

the clouds lift;
the sky is clear and pale, as if washed clean;
the sunset is flame and gold;
he has a world to himself and can do as he likes, the richest man ever;
there is frozen food for a hundred men for twenty or thirty years;
he will tend fields, orchards, livestock, buildings and the graveyard;
the far sea is visible;
a soft wind murmurs and talks in the trees;
he will protect his ancestral land from the encroaching forest;
the stars are brighter than he would like;
he will have to tend the street lamps...

At the end, he is overcome by the darkness and silence.

In his clogs, where I would not go willingly, I would not tend fields but read and meditate.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

That's what I immediately thought when I saw the image for this blog piece! It would have been more suitable for a collection including "Marius."

With enough food stored for a century for twenty men neither of us would NEED to tend fields, orchards, and cattle.

As I'e said before, we see Kormt having second thoughts, too late!

Ad astra! Sean