Sunday 27 June 2021

The Kith Future Histories

I am staying with the Kith for a while.

"Ghetto," The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction, May 1954.
"Homo Aquaticus," Amazing Stories, September 1963.
"The Tale of the Cat," Analog Science Fiction and Fact, February 1998.
 
"Ghetto" and "Homo Aquaticus," the latter re-entitled "The Horn of Time the Hunter," form the short Kith future history in Maurai And Kith, 1982.
 
"Ghetto" and "The Tale of the Cat," both revised, form Chapters XXI and XVII, respectively, of Starfarers, 1998.
 
I have not read the original version of "The Tale of the Cat."

Maurai And Kith should be split into Maurai and Kith. Kith and Starfarers are two alternative Kith Histories whereas Maurai is the opening volume of a trilogy, the remaining volumes being Orion Shall Rise and There Will Be Time.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know I have the original version of "The Tale of the Cat" somewhere among my SF books and magazines. And, when I'm feeling facetious, I sometimes think of that story as "The TAIL of the Cat"!

I think a COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON should compile the Maurai short stories in one volume with THERE WILL BE TIME, with ORION SHALL RISE forming a second Maurai volume. And either volume should include an essay discussing whether it made sense to believe METALS would be that rare and costly after the War of Judgment. My belief is that Stirling gave convincing arguments for believing Anderson made a mistake hypothesizing in the earlier Maurai stories that metals were costly and difficult to obtain. We do see Anderson backing away somewhat from that idea in ORION.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
The title is probably meant to be punny.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think that's almost certainly is the case. We know Anderson enjoyed that kind of humor.

Ad astra! Sean