Sunday 30 August 2020

What The Goddess Said


"Star of the Sea."

Theists claim that their life is a dialogue with a deity but how do they know what S/He says?

Veleda admits to Heidhin when they are alone that her talk of wrecking Rome is rant, is not what the goddess said, instead is what she, Veleda, has told herself but must be repeated to satisfy her audience. (3, p. 500)

For once, we are able to check for ourselves who said what when the goddess appeared. When Roman sailors tied up Heidhin and raped Edh (Veleda), Janne Floris swooped down and killed the sailors.

"'What do you want of me, Niaerdh?' [Edh] whispered. 'I am yours. As I always was?'
"'Slay the Romans, all the Romans!' Heidhin bawled." (14, p. 592)

Janne says only:

"'I want only your well-being, only your gladness... I love you.'" (p. 593)

Then, when Edh asks what troubles her and whether it is the Romans:

"'It...is....your woe, my dear...
"'Fare you well. Fare you bravely, free from fear and sorrow. We shall meet again.'" (ibid.)

"Slay the Romans..." was said but not by the goddess.

No comments: