Saturday 22 August 2020

Mental Man

Nature has produced mind. Might mind transcend nature? This idea is present in different ways in:

CS Lewis' That Hideous Strength;
Julian May's Galactic Milieu Trilogy;
Poul Anderson's Harvest Of Stars Tetralogy;
Anderson's Genesis.

While building up to the idea, Lewis again uses one of our favorite words:

"'Nature herself begins to throw away the anachronism.'"
-That Hideous Strength, CHAPTER 8, p. 527.

Of the four works listed above, I think that Anderson's Genesis is the most plausible. I had not intended to post again tonight but, of course, something relevant came up in Lewis.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Of Julian May's PLIOCENE EXILE, INTERVENTION, and MILIEU books, I liked best the four EXILE volumes. And I do have some difficulties with all of these books--the two most serious being the implausible FTL means of travel and thinking the "metafaculties" of both humans and the "exotics" being too MANY for me to swallow.

I agree in believing Anderson's use of "mental" powers in GENESIS more plausible than in the works of the other authors. I would add that I favor the HARVEST OF STARS books ever so slightly more than GENESIS. Mostly because Anderson worked out in much more detail in the four HARVEST volumes the drawbacks and weaknesses of the idea of organic intelligence being transcended by Artificial Intelligences.

Ad astra! Sean