Friday 24 August 2018

Arrival

Poul Anderson, World Without Stars, Chapter V.

See "Time Travelling And Space Jumps II," here.

The Meteor makes an instantaneous jump across 230,000 light-years but first it was necessary to accelerate to the relative velocity of the target planetary system. Hence, time spent in space before the timeless jump across space.

But something has gone wrong. Meanwhile, however, so much time has elapsed here that what has gone wrong will have to form the subject matter of a subsequent post.

Reread Poul Anderson. Reading his fiction just once in no way does justice to its depth or complexity. There is more information in his short works than in many longer ones.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I absolutely agree with your last paragraph! Any good writer, not just Poul Anderson, should be capable of writing works that deserves to be read more than once. Sometimes I feel frustrated when I come across people who say they don't reread books, even ones they liked. They miss so much of the depth and complexity to be found in such stories if they read them only once.

I used to buy books quite often, and I still buy some new ones every year (esp. the works of S.M. Stirling). But I've found myself often being content with rereading books I already have, precisely for the reasons indicated in my first paragraph.

Btw, Adam Frank's LIGHT OF THE STARS is a new book I recently purchased. So I don't ONLY reread books I already have!

Sean