Sunday 28 January 2018

Parodying Shakespeare

(Stratford-upon-Avon.)

Mark Antony:
Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Caesar, not to praise him;
-copied from here.

David Falkayn:

"'I come to curry Caesarism, not to raze it.'"
-Poul Anderson, "The Trouble Twisters" IN Anderson, David Falkayn: Star Trader (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 77-208 AT p. 155.

Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.
-copied from here.

" 'Uneasy hies tha head what caeres for clowns.' "
-copied from here.

If that's not clever, it'll do till the real clever comes along.

4 comments:

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Kaor, Paul!

The parodying of the famous saying about heads and crowns from A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST has always amused me!

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

And besides the literal meaning, "clown" was 17th-century slang for "rustic, peasant".

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Dear Mr. Stirling,

And that meaning of "clown" was recently discussed here, by you, I think. And William Fairweather literally was a rustic!

Sean

David Birr said...

Paul:
I found a drawing on the 'Net, depicting a cute little girl humming with evident pleasure as she nibbles on a pastry. Saving it to my computer, I gave it the title, "If Music Be the Love of Food..." as my Spooneristic take on a line from, if I remember correctly, Twelfth Night.