Monday 24 May 2021

Vast Conflicts

In The Peregrine, near the end of Poul Anderson's Psychotechnic History, the Alori threat to the Stellar Union is averted because the Peregrine escapes from Loaluani and carries a warning to the Coordination Service. In The Game Of Empire, near the end of Anderson's Technic History, the Merseian threat to the Terran Empire is averted (I think) because the Merseian Roidhunate suffers the last of a series of demoralizing defeats.

Tachwyr the Dark bravely says:

"'By adversity, the God tempers the steel of the Race.'"
-Poul Anderson, The Game Of Empire IN Anderson, Flandry's Legacy (Riverdale, NY, 2012), pp. 189-453 AT CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO, p. 447.

But too much adversity demotivates the racists.

Both these conflicts are interstellar in scale and Tachwyr invokes his conception of the transcendent. I am surprised to learn that events on an even vaster scale are possible in a mainstream novel. In Susan Howatch's Glamorous Powers, a psychic senses a departing soul entering the Platonic hereafter. Since the Platonic realm transcends space and time, it is indeed vaster than interstellar empires. We accept first that many people believe in a hereafter and secondly that souls may enter hereafters in fiction although we might reclassify the fiction as fantasy. Back to Genre Overlaps. In any case, Howatch's characters' spiritual crises are as dramatic as Anderson's interstellar imperial conflicts.

8 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Words like "demotivates" seems needlessly bland to me. I would argue, rather, that too much adversity would DISCOURAGE or even dishearten Tachwyr and his colleagues.

I don't know if you ever read any of the novels of Charles Williams (d. 1945), one of the friends of C.S. Lewis and J.R.R. Tolkien. In his book THE PLACE OF THE LION, Williams gives us his speculations on what might happen if Platonic archetypes started literally appearing on our Earth. Briefly, in many ways, DESTRUCTIVE.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I had a crack at Williams and didn't like him much. Can't remember the title.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I admit THE PLACE OF THE LION is not one of my favorites, of Williams' novels. But I liked others, such as ALL HALLOWS EVE and MANY DIMENSIONS.

Williams non fictions might please some more than his novels. I have two of them: WITCHCRAFT and THE DESCENT OF THE SPIRIT.

Ad atra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

The one I read was MANY DIMENSIONS. I remember little except that I found the time travel disappointing.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

One of the many books I should reread, to see if what I remember about still holds up.

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I took another quick look at MANY DIMENSIONS, and I recall now the story is about the Stone of Solomon. I must have read it two or three times, but I'm chagrined to say I never realized it was also about time traveling. I thought it was a fantasy taking themes from the legends about King Solomon.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I think that there is time travel in it and that CS Lewis said that the time travel was handled well but I didn't think so but I am not really sure of anything.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Considering how long it's been since I last read MANY DIMENSIONS, I am not sure either!

Another or Williams' novels, WAR IN HEAVEN, focuses on the Holy Grail of Arthurian legend, called the "Santgraal" in the book. Anderson gives us a glimpse of the Grail in A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST.

It does make me wonder, what was the cup Christ used at the Last Supper made from: clay, wood, pewter, silver? Middle class people of that time might have been able to buy pewter vessels.

Ad astra! Sean