Thursday 12 March 2020

More Nostalgia

"Margin of Profit."

"...remember the brave old days when you went hell-roaring halfway across this arm of the galaxy." (p. 125)

"...recall past years when he went hell-roaring in his own person..." (p. 167)

I much prefer the original wording: "...brave old days..." and "...this arm of the galaxy."

This passages expresses the very best kind of nostalgia because van Rijn is again doing what he remembers doing. When I returned to Higher Education at Manchester Polytechnic in 1981-'82, I felt nostalgic about my "student days" when I was again a student. At Bentham, when Bill played cricket one last time, someone said that it was like having the old Bill back again. Sometimes we do have the old days back.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

For the most part I think Anderson's revisions of stories like "Margin of Profit" were an improvement on the original texts. But I agree that he may have sometimes gone a bit too needlessly far doing so. I think PA could have kept original forms of the text you quoted with no damage to the story.

Ad astra! Sean