Tuesday 28 May 2019

TV Dramatizations

(An Ythrian should not resemble a large bird.)

Would it be possible to adapt Poul Anderson's Technic History as a TV serial? Yes, but it would need:

CGI;
high production values;
authentic adaptations;
an indefinite number of seasons and episodes stretching all the way from "The Saturn Game" to "Starfog."

I do not argue that such a program would be currently marketable, necessarily.

How have other novels or series adapted to TV?

Game Of Thrones
I understand that there is outrage!

Neil Gaiman's American Gods
Audiovisually spectacular but of questionable coherence.

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy
Authentic in theme and characters but differing in many details and uni-dimensional by contrast with the novels.

BBC Pride And Prejudice And Aldous Huxley's Eyeless In Gaza
Excellent, proving that it can be done.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm surprised you did not include Peter Jackson's LOTR and HOBBIT movies in your list. And count me as one of those Middle Earth "purists" outraged by how Jackson botched the story!

I would love it if someone made some filmed versions of Nicholas van Rijn or Dominic Flandry stories--and was ACCURATELY based on the texts!

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I was confining myself to TV.
Paul.

Ketlan said...

'Game Of Thrones
I understand that there is outrage!'

You ain't kidding!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I saw that, too late to correct my first comment.

Sean