Sunday 19 February 2023

Heaven Speaks

If a voice could speak literally from Heaven, what would it sound like? I thought that there was something relevant in Operation Chaos. What I have found is this. After a prayer has been offered:

"There was another stillness.
"Then the cross on the altar shone forth, momentarily sun-bright, and we heard one piercing, exquisite note, and I felt within me a rush of joy I can only vaguely compare to the winning of first love."
-Poul Anderson, Operation Chaos (New York, 1995), XXIX, p. 231.

A soul has come from Heaven. But then, immediately, without even a change of paragraph:

"But another noise followed, as of a huge wind. The candles went out, the panes went black, we staggered when the floor shook beneath us." (ibid.)

Another soul has come from Purgatory.

I want to compare this with something in CS Lewis but am being interrupted. More later.

No comments: