Saturday 17 December 2022

The Shrine

"The Plague of Masters," XIII.

On a branch of a Tree of Ranau, there is a peak-roofed shrine. Djuanda tells Flandry:

"'The gods are there, and a tunnel cut deep into the wood. When a boy is grown, he enters that tunnel for a night. I may not say more.'" (p. 126)

Djuanda's father visibly changes the subject.

I enjoy and benefit from philosophical discussions about whether the gods literally exist but that is not the only question here. If I were a Ranauan youth, then I would want to spend my night in that tunnel. Give the gods an opportunity to manifest themselves if they are going to. Meanwhile, I would meditate in any case.

This should be the last post from Pine Lake. Back to Lancaster tomoz, then the week leading into Christmas with several festivities planned.

Gods be with us.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I recall how Sumu the Fat promised a dozen sticks of incense to the gods at a local temple as Flandry began to beguile him with tales of lost treasure from the stars.

Merry Christmas! Sean