Thursday 30 September 2021

Change Today And Tomorrow

Living in the second half of the twentieth century, and especially if reading sf then, we became used to the idea that we were experiencing a century of rapid technological advances which, barring a nuclear war, would continue through the twenty first century and beyond.

Poul Anderson summarizes relevant events from the twentieth century:

"We think it extraordinary that just sixty-six years elapsed between the first powered flight at Kitty Hawk and the first manned landing on the moon; yet my mother was around for both of them."
-Poul Anderson, "The Discovery of the Past" IN Anderson, Past Times (New York, 1984), pp. 182-206 AT p. 200.
 
The earlier twentieth century is continuous with Robert Heinlein's Future History. D.D. Harriman says:
 
"'You young fellows have grown up to rocket travel the way I grew up to aviation. I'm a great deal older than you are, at least fifty years older. When I was a kid practically nobody believed that men would ever reach the Moon. You've seen rockets all your lives, and the first to reach the Moon got there before you were a young boy. When I was a boy they laughed at the idea.
"'But I believed - I believed. I read Verne, and Wells, and Smith, and I believed that we could do it - that we would do it.'"
-Robert Heinlein, "Requiem" IN Heinlein, The Man Who Sold The Moon (London, 1963), pp. 222-238 AT p. 226.
 
And finally, for this post, an Isaac Asimov character sums up rapid progress in Asimov's equivalent of The Man Who Sold The Moon:
 
"'And that is all,' said Dr. Calvin, rising. 'I saw it from the beginning, when the poor robots couldn't speak, to the end, when they stand between mankind and destruction. I will see no more. My life is over. You will see what comes next.'
"I never saw Susan Calvin again. She died last month at the age of eighty-two."
-Isaac Asimov, "The Evitable Conflict" IN Asimov, I, Robot (London, 1986), pp. 183-206 AT p. 206. 

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I hope we live to see SOME changes and advances, such as men returning to the Moon and going on to Mars!

Ad astra! Sean