Thursday 12 July 2018

The Advent Of Black Chamber

At last I have received (what I think is) a review copy of the new Black Chamber by SM Stirling. Thank you, Mr Stirling.

I am unsure how to proceed. It has not been my practice to read a new book from cover to cover, then to write a short article reviewing the work in its entirety. Instead, I post while reading, sometimes focusing on quite specific details.

I gather that the book has been on sale since July 3. It already contains quotes from reviews. Thus, I will not be guilty of "spoilers" if I discuss the work at a more leisurely rate.

Real life has become intrusive:

England in the World Cup semi-final yesterday evening;
driving friend Nygel to a plant center this morning;
a Buddhist funeral at Lancaster Crematorium this afternoon;
important events tomorrow and on Saturday.

I am also rereading Poul Anderson's The Avatar (and mentally drafting a post) and Stieg Larsson's The Girl Who Played With Fire. The blog will continue to happen although maybe at a more modest pace.

Onward and upward.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm very eager to start reading my copy of Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER this weekend! And I'm fascinated that he arranged for you to get a review copy of the book. I hope you do write an article about the novel and that it is published, preferably in a forum where you get paid for it!

Even your "modest" pace of blog writing is far more prolific than what I have seen at many other blogs!

Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

At last! For some reason I had to push repeatedly to get you a copy; it’s usually fairly straightforward. By all means comment just as you please.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Mr Stirling,
Thanks. I am carrying on my usual idiosyncratic way of commenting.
Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

The odd thing is that my current publicist at Penguin is unusually energetic and competent and as a result there's been much more comment and many more reviews on BLACK CHAMBER than is usual -- reviews in the Financial Times and Wall Street Journal, for example.

I have no idea why getting you the ARC was such a production -- I was on the verge of sending you a copy personally when your welcome news came through.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Thank you again. Much appreciated. (Maybe someone doesn't like me? No - that way lies madness.)
Paul.