Tuesday 3 July 2018

Odysseus

This blog has a lot of references to Odysseus. I said a couple of times that Poul Anderson refers to Odysseus twice but I have now found a third reference. In The Dancer From Atlantis, CHAPTER SIX:

"...Troy was a strong and prosperous city-state; but here before [Reid] stood the Achaeans - Danaans, Argives, Hellenes - the forebears of Agamemnon and Odysseus." (p. 48)

Can Reid change the Iliad or the Odyssey? No. He will struggle to survive and to return home. But he will succeed and will be commended by a futurian time traveler.

After only two posts this evening, I would like to write more but, after a long day out, it is getting late for blogging and I have learned the advisability of switching off the lap top before now.

Rereading The Dancer From Atlantis generates as many posts as Anderson's other time travel novels.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! Now I have to think about rereading Anderson's THE DANCER FROM ATLANTIS when I'm already reading Davenport's THE SPACE BARONS. And I want to see if Barnes & Noble will have Stirling's BLACK CHAMBER this coming weekend.

Sean