Wednesday 25 July 2018

Armstrong On Luna II

See Armstrong On Luna.

I forgot three important "first man on the moon" works. Fortunately, however, the blogging medium allows time for second and third thoughts.

(i) ERB's The Moon Maid is:

a "first men on the moon" story;
a sequel to his Martian series;
Volume I of a future historical trilogy.

(ii) Larry Niven's "Wrong Way Street" (and here) combines time travel with "first man on the moon";

(iii) in Poul Anderson's Operation Luna, Valeria Matuchek becomes the first human being on the Moon in her timeline.

Thus, "first man on the moon" interacts with:

future history;
alternative history;
time travel;
other interplanetary travel;
fantasy.

The sky is not the limit.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Drat! I don't think I ever read Burroughs' THE MOON MAID.

Darn, I forgot about Valeria Matuchek being the first human being on the Moon in OPERATION LUNA.

And I'm almost sure I never read this Larry Niven story.

Sean