Tuesday, 15 September 2026

A Cosmic Accident Or A Large Satellite

Poul Anderson, "The Queen of Air and Darkness" IN Anderson, The Queen Of Air And Darkness and other stories (New York, December 1973), pp. 3-49.

"...man exists because a cosmic accident blew away most of the gas that a body its size ought to have kept, as Venus has done." (p. 11)

Sf readers read then-current scientific ideas in sf stories. This story was published in The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction in 1971.

Ideas that I have read elsewhere are that:

Lunar gravity thinned the Terrestrial atmosphere (this is crucial to Larry Niven's "Wrong Way Street");

tides, also of course caused by Lunar gravity, facilitated the evolution of amphibians and the transition of life from sea to land;

the Moon maintains the Earth's magnetic field (see here).

The Earth-Moon system is a double planet and the Moon almost certainly has other effects. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I love the idea Anderson used in "Strange Bedfellows," about terraforming the Moon! One engineer to whom I quoted the relevant texts from the story, even said he thought it was doable.

Ad astra! Sean