Friday 2 November 2018

Work And Relaxation

Rereading Poul Anderson has not ceased to be enjoyable but has become work, utilizing study skills developed during years at Dublin and Lancaster Universities. It has become necessary to take notes, find cross-references and think for blogging purposes. That is why today, incapacitated by a cold, I am avoiding Harvest Of Stars and instead rereading graphic fiction purely for relaxation.

Fantasy and science fiction extend but also reflect reality. Even while presenting an alternative twentieth century history dominated by super heroes, Garth Ennis makes us feel World War II, the transformation of the OSS into the CIA, the Cold War and the Korean War. Although Poul Anderson mainly focuses on other, both past and future, centuries, several decades of the twentieth century also feature in some of his works and we wonder whether the Time Patrol had to oversee the transition from the OSS, which survives in SM Stirling's Draka History, to the CIA.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have about 25 more pages to go before I finish rereading THE ROAD OF THE SEA HORSE, vol. 2 of THE LAST VIKING. But I've been slowed down lately by playing chess and then playing thru the moves of some of my chess games. But I should finish the book soon!

Your mention of S.M. Stirling reminded me that I think what he plans to be the LAST volume of the Emberverse series comes out this month. I will probably get that book, even tho I'm more eager to read the second of his alternate WW I books.

Also, your mentioning of Stirling's Draka makes me wonder, do you plan to reread the Draka books sometime? I know the gruesome and repellent Draka puts you off, but I have found those books fascinating, page turning reading. And DRAKON gave me the satisfaction of seeing the Draka not winning, just for once!

I still wish Stirling's fifth Draka book, UNTO US A CHILD, had not gotten so tangled up in legal complications that he can't publish the book. The mere KNOWLEDGE such a book apparently exists, keeps me wondering what happened to the monstrous Gwen Ingolfsson clone sister/daughter.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
No plans to reread Draka soon but they are very well-written, well-realized books, presenting not a technological change but a different culture.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! A very well realized, carefully thought out alternate culture. And Stirling shows us how the Draka were not cardboard monsters and cliches. Many of the Draka, simply as individuals, were quite decent. But brought up to believe in monstrous ideas.

And I did appreciate the technological differences, as well!

Sean