Saturday 3 November 2018

Paper Fiction

The evening advances and I should stop blogging especially since I have not yet recovered from this cold. Poul Anderson's Harvest Of Stars is not holding my attention. After making a telling political point (see Chaotics), the narrative relapses into cloak and dagger machinations about Kyra traveling discretely and using a false name and passwords to evade the Security Police.

I fall back on other reading which sometimes generates new blog posts in any case. When paper books are no longer published (replaced by "liquid-crystal plaque books" in Julian May's Jack The Bodiless, 4, p. 56), will antiquarians still collect original editions of twentieth century fantasy, sf and horror fiction? If so, then we can be sure that the trade will include the works of Poul Anderson.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

In "e-books," we already have what might be considered primitive forerunners of Julian May's "liquid-crystal plaque books." But I myself still prefer to read old fashioned paper books. They feel more REAL to me!

Yes, I think collectors will be eagerly seeking out first editions of 20th century fantasy, SF, and horror (including PA's works). I will even say there will still be a market for paper books. Some readers will buy "print on demand" copies of the works of Poul Anderson and other authors, such as S.M. Stirling.

Sean