Thursday 12 November 2015

Ysan Inns

The murderous inter-dynastic deceit in Poul Anderson's Mother Of Kings approaches a crescendo. Haakon Jarl plans to kill Gold-Harald Knutson who plans to kill Harald Eiriksson who is sailing into a trap of the kind devised for Tryggvi Olafsson by Gudrod Eiriksson: the consequences of their own actions.

I seek temporary respite in the intriguing inns of Poul and Karen Anderson's uncanny city of Ys. See:

In An Ysan Inn
Time Passes
Inns In Ys
More Details About Ys
Epona's Horse
Appreciating Details

There may be more about Ysan inns and, of course, there is a lot about Ys, sadly inundated centuries before the events of Mother Of Kings.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I do understand your point about feeling wearied by the violent inter-dynastic conflicts of Norway in Queen Gunnhild's time. Alas, I fear I find such accounts interesting, in a regrettably detached way. I must have a jaded soul!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
But isn't the Ys stuff good? I enjoy rereading my summaries of Poul and Karen Anderson's work.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I do find your comments and summaries interesting! Including this piece about the Ysan inns created by the Andersons. I even looked up two of the links you included. And will look up another!

Sean