Sunday 6 March 2022

The Founder Of Constitutionalism

Founders answers Constitutionalism

Poul Anderson did not just cash in on the connotations of the term, "Constitutionalism," despite recycling the word in a completely different context. Instead, it is the off-stage character, Laird, that does this. He finds a way to name Anker's empiricist philosophy "Constitutionalism" and thus appeals to disaffected North Americans for a nefarious purpose that is to be revealed later.

I spoke too soon when I suggested that it was the author who was playing tricks with words. All of this maneuvering will eventually get some human colonists onto the extra-solar planet, Rustum, but we must read on to find out how it will be done.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Anderson gave us a hint of what alert readers should have noticed when he called this story "Robin Hood's Barn"!

I certainly did not, I admit, till I googled the phrase.

Ad astra! Sean