Thursday 10 October 2019

Gayle Thayer

The Devil's Game, GAYLE THAYER, pp. 96-108.

Gayle's challenge in the deadly Follow the Leader game is that they all sit still in a circle for twenty two hours. By the conventions established in the novel, her chapter is narrated by her in the present tense, starting:

"It's going to be a real scorcher today, I guess. Already the brightness outside hurts me to look at." (p. 96)

Because, during the game, there is neither dialogue nor action, we read only her stream of consciousness. She says , "'Begin!'" on p. 99 and falls out of the game on p. 108:

"...I rise and curse them and
        n
          i
           g
            h
              t
               w
                 h
                   i
                    r
                     l
                      s
                       d
                         o
                          w
                            n
                              n
                                n
                                  n
                                    n"

- which might be a good place to stop for the night?

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It was part of Anderson's skill as a writer that in Gayle Thayer he first shows us a character it would be easy to, at best, have only contemptuous pity for. However, I recalled how he later shows us Gayle having unsuspected depths and strengths. And to do so in a convincing way.

I'm finding THE DEVIL'S GAME a fascinating book to reread, never mind that I've read it at least twice already. I'm finding depths, nuances, implications, etc., I completely missed in the past. Which reminds me of how I have argued in defense of the desirability of rereading good books!

If I had been of Haverner's guests/victims/experimental subjects, and it was my turn to play "Follow The Leader," MY game would be to have all of us tied down on beds blindfolded and with ear plugs. Those who cracked and yelled to be released would be washed out of the game. With the last one to crack being the winner of the million dollars.

IOW, sensory deprivation! Or would that have too simple a way of playing the game?

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Simple? It would be fully within the rules as a test of endurance. But I do have problems with your interest in sensory deprivation!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

True, this use of sensory deprivation would be fully within the rules of the game.

We have argued about sensory deprivation before. My view is that when used with the care shown by Dominic Flandry, it is a legitimate interrogation method in dire situations and only on persons likely to have the information being sought. And Poul Anderson seems to have thought so himself, if I can go by how he used sensory deprivation in WE CLAIM THESE STARS and MURDER IN BLACK LETTER.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Some people are much more vulnerable to sensory deprivation than others; and women, on average, are much more vulnerable to some types of it than men -- solitary confinement hits them much harder, for example.

(Men, OTOH, are more vulnerable to an environment that is social but monotonous.)

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

That would help explain why Gayle failed her game so ignominiously!

I have sometimes wondered how I would do if I tried out sensory deprivation. Would I tough it out for hours or crack within minutes?

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
One difference between you and me is that I don't want to find out!
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I admit to having some "monkey see, monkey do" curiosity"!

Ad astra! Sean