Friday 19 April 2019

The Long Trail

The series about Nicholas van Rijn without the trader team comprises six works, three in Trader To The Stars, three in The Earth Book Of Stormgate and all in Volumes I and II (of VII) of The Technic Civilization Saga.

The earliest van Rijn story, "Margin of Profit," was not included in the first van Rijn collection, Trader To The Stars, but was quoted in one of the stories in that collection and thus, for me at least, acquired the status of an authoritative but esoteric text.

Although I frequently wonder what there is to post about next, when I reread a page of a work by Anderson, I find that there is still plenty to discuss. "Margin of Profit," introducing van Rijn, seems to be inexhaustible and fully defines the character for the rest of his series whereas the younger characters mature and develop during the course of their respective careers.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Don't forget, there are two versions of "Margin of Profit." I think you have been commenting on the older text, not the revised version. Anderson revised "Margin" to make it fit in better with the Technic series. Have you noticed any serious differences between the two texts?

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I have been commenting on the version in TH TECHNIC CIVILIZATION SAGA. I have both versions and have noticed differences, includin (I think):

Federation becomes Commonwealth;
Martians become colonists, not natives.
Paul.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

In haste. Spelling errors.