Wednesday 17 April 2019

Social Changes

Poul Anderson, "Margin of Profit," see here.

Nicholas van Rijn says:

"'I will shovel your demands along at my associates, what of them as don't hide too good in their offices and harems. Sit.'" (p. 140)

In the Queen's English of polite society, this perhaps means:

"Please be seated. I will pass on your demands to my associates, those of them that do not hide too well in their offices."

(Harems should not be mentioned.)

Although I was never business-minded, I grew up among business-type people in the North West of England in the 1950s. In that milieu, anyone speaking like van Rijn would have been ostracized. Even if it became necessary, because of his success, to do business with him, he would still not be regarded as a member of society. See Change. Perhaps I exaggerate but not by much. In some respects, it is good that the old things have passed away.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think you are missing an important point: Nicholas van Rijn lived and flourished during Technic Civilization's "Age of Exploration," when the merchant princes of the Polesotechnic League SET the tone. Old Nick could not have been the only one, by far, who rose by sheer ability and determination from humble origins to great wealth gained by exploration and trade. It was a flamboyant age and people would be far more tolerant, even admiring, of the garish and extravagant ways of League magnates than they would have been in the past or in the future.

Also, I don't think fussy, fuddy duddy upper crust manners are always bad! I liked the old fashioned Edwardian manners of Sir Nigel Loring, in Stirling's Emberverse books. Of course, that was partly because Sir Nigel had been raised by his grandmother after the early death of his parents.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Yes, van Rijn's era was very different from the one in which I grew up. Social norms differ so much that one thinks the other insane and vice versa.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Well, maybe not insane! Merely one era might be thought stuffy, strait laced, and staid by a succeeding time.

Sean

Anonymous said...

Old Nick clearly acts "nouveau riche" which is why I'd lik to come to one of his parties/dinners.

-kh