Thursday 17 January 2019

Cosmic Dark

See Cosmic Dawn.

Poul Anderson's Tau Zero and "Flight to Forever" have become outmoded because cosmic expansion is accelerating so that the cosmos is not cyclical. All other galaxies will recede until they become undetectable.

Dark matter, 27% of the universe, causing galactic condensation, and dark energy, 68%, causing cosmic expansion, call for new sf novels by modern successors of Olaf Stapledon and Poul Anderson and maybe these novels are now being written without my knowledge since I have not kept up with post-Anderson cosmological sf? But that is what the combox is for.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now that interests me, SF novels based on ideas like an expanding, not oscillating universe. I hope some writers are trying their hand with these notions.

But I don't think all galaxies will expand away from each other. Astronomers have discovered that some galaxies have collided or merged with each other. In fact, I think the Andromeda galaxy will be "colliding with our Milky Way galaxy millions of years from now. What might happen from that? It's an idea Poul Anderson himself might have used.

Sean