Friday 18 May 2018

San Francisco

San Francisco plays a big role in works by both Poul Anderson and SM Stirling. I have just come across a reference to:

"...the five-story tower of the Peace Pagoda..."
-SM Stirling, A Taint In The Blood (New York, 2011), CHAPTER EIGHT, p. 138.

From the image and description, I confess to some unclarity as to the Pagoda's structure. Is it a building with five floors or (what it looks like here) a multiple tower with five ornate roofs?

Adrian, seeing the Peace Pagoda ahead, turns "...into the Japanese-style baths...," (ibid.) which apparently are on Geary Street and not part of the Pagoda.

San Francisco, like York, is a city that we visit in several periods and timelines. Fiction is vaster than a single reality.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Well, I have at least been to York, where I admired that beautiful cathedral. And took a walk on the old walls of the city. But I've never been to San Francisco. But I did give a thought of going there while Poul Anderson was still alive if there could have been a chance of meeting him.

Sean