Monday 21 May 2018

Tainted Telepathy

Telepathy is too big a topic. We are familiar with telepathy from sf even if we will never experience it. I first heard of it as "tellypathy" while at school. I mention telepathy because the human heroine of SM Stirling's A Taint In The Blood converses telepathically with the Shadowspawn hero while asleep but does not remember the conversations when awake with the result that her captor, the mind-reading Shadowspawn villainess, neither detects nor suspects the occurrence of these conversations.

In Poul Anderson's "Journeys End," some human beings are telepathic. In Anderson's Technic History, some beings can detect and interpret brain emanations but Aycharaych is the only universal telepath.

I began to compile a list of other authors who have addressed the telepathy concept but it got too long. No doubt blog readers can think of some notable names.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Aside from S.M. Stirling in his Shadowspawn books, Poul Anderson is one of the few science fiction writers I know of who have written plausible stories using telepathy. Not only did he write stories featuring "natural" telepathy, he wrote at least tale featuring a kind of telepathy using technology. In the Maurai story called "Progress," we see Maurai agents communicating with each other using radio transmitters and receivers implanted in their brains.

And I loved the way Stirling had Adrian Breze and Ellen Tarnowski clandestinely communicating with each by means of telepathy unbeknownst to his monstrous sister Adrienne! Yes, Adrian had to kind of "block off" a section of Ellen's mind in such a way that Adrienne would not find out.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Check out DYING INSIDE by Robert Silverberg.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks! And I think I remember you discussing this Silverberg book. I have a vague recollection that you did not like DYING INSIDE, that you thought the author had made a muddle of the telepathy theme.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
No! I think it is excellent! As if written by a telepath! I think Silverberg muddles his time travel.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm almost sure I've never read DYING INSIDE. Understood, Silverberg was better at speculating about telepathy, not time travel.

Sean