Tuesday 8 May 2018

Hands-On Omnicompetence

To escape from a native attack on t'Kela, Nicholas van Rijn must drive an unfamiliar groundcar. His company uses Landmasters, not Globetrotters, but sometimes his boys must "borrow" vehicles from their competitors so they know how to drive Globetrotters - and so does van Rijn. The sole owner and director of Solar Spice & Liquors is "hands on" and omnicompetent enough to be familiar with such practical operations, having risen from the rank of spacehand in his youth.

Why am I praising this guy? I would not be able to cope with him either as a business contact or as one of his employees but he and I might have some interesting conversations if we were to meet socially, like maybe in the Old Phoenix.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too doubt I have the right cast of mind or abilities needed for either doing business with Nicholas van Rijn or successfully working for him. But I do hope, like you, that we could hit it off socially with him.

I know Solar Spice & Liquors was wholly owned by Old Nick, and thus I would not be able to buy stock in that company. But I'm sure any investment I made in it would pay off handsomely under van Rijn's management!

Sean