Sunday 6 May 2018

Blue Mountain And Milky Way II

See Blue Mountain And Milky Way.

The passage beginning:

"The sun was coming up over the blue mountain peak..."

- is from:

Ian Fleming, Dr No (London, 1989), VII, p. 58.

The passage beginning:

"In the darkness ahead Bond could just make out..."

- is from op. cit., p. 63.

Fans of Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry series should read Fleming's James Bond series not only to compare these two spy series but also to appreciate both authors' descriptive passages.

I have cited this aspects of Fleming's work before. See:

Sunset, Sunrise, Sunset
Seasonal Changes
Flandry And Bond

Appropriately, after referring to Bond in Japan, I have just returned from the Zen monastery so give me some time to get back into secular life.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have read Ian Fleming's James Bond stories, perhaps even twice. I think the best of them featured SMERSH/KGB as the villains. But it's been so long since I read DR. NO that it's not surprising I did not recall where the bit you quoted came from.

I agree in including Anderson's Dominic Flandy stories as an SF example of the spy genre. They should be read along with the James Bond stories, le Carre's Smiley novels, and William F. Buckley's Blackford Oakes series.

Sean