Sunday 14 August 2016

"These Demonstrators"

"'...these demonstrators are being operated like gloves, by some mighty shrewd characters.'"
-Poul Anderson, Operation Chaos (New York, 1995), p. 142.

Not my experience of being on demonstrations. Years ago, when Sheila and I were walking home from Lancaster town center, an Anti-Poll Tax march passed along the street that we were waiting to cross. A local woman whom we did not know began knowledgeably informing Sheila that the demonstrators were bused in from outside. Meanwhile, I was recognizing many of the marchers as local people. After a while, I said, "There's John. See you later..." and joined in the march, walking alongside John. We proceeded peacefully to Market Square for a rally after which I returned home.

I started attending demonstrations in the 1970's partly to find out for myself what happened on such occasions and have continued to attend them ever since - when I agree with their purpose.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think you are missing an obvious to me point: in OPERATION CHAOS the Johannine Church was the Adversary's scheme for undermining and subverting society both in and out of the US. It therefore logically follows that a "church" secretly controlled by Satan would have agents manipulating political activities such as demonstrations.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
You are right that, in the case of the Johannines, there really is sinister manipulation going on.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Exactly! And, alas, such manipulation is not impossible in non fictional life as well. The clearest example of that being the intrigues and activities of the Muslim Brotherhood (see Andrew McCarthy's book THE GRAND JIHAD).

Sean