Friday 15 July 2016

The Selkie's Speech

In The Merman's Children (London, 1981), Hauau, the selkie, describes himself as "'...grumly...'" (p. 85) and says, "'...sometimes it grows dreegh, d'ye ken?'" (p. 86)

Yes, I ken what "ken" means but does everyone? I don't know where to stop when tracking down archaic or obscure terminologies. Hauau tells Ingeborg that she is:

"'...in truth a woman and nae fay.'" (p. 86)

"'...many's the kittle thing I did see.'" (p. 87)

"'I've had feres amang men...'" (ibid.)

Hauau has some second sight and knows that, when he dies:

"'...Faerie will be a last thin glimmer ere it fades oot fore'er.'" (p. 88)

It seems that they will not go elsewhere but will cease to exist.

Herning "...passed near craft plying between England and the Pale..." (p. 90)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Words like "grumly, "dreegh, and "feres" are strange to me.

Sean