Monday 25 July 2016

"Tea, Please!"

Since Romano-Britons figure prominently in some works by Poul Anderson, it may be relevant to make a few more remarks about British cultural references to tea. The British are sometimes commended for their humor. In a comedy film covering the Roman conquest of Britain (see image), a Roman military man says (quoting from memory), "I don't understand these Britons. One second, they're fighting like demons; the next, someone shouts, 'Tea up!' and they all disappear."

My paternal grandmother once said, 'Have you ever been in somebody's house in the afternoon and you've wanted them to offer you a cup of tea and they haven't? Ooh, it's awful!" - but would have been horrified at the suggestion that she was a drug addict. I had to get that out of my system. I do not share this national fascination with that beverage and have moved closer to Bond on this if on nothing else. But I really must get back on track with the Nantucketers crossing the Atlantic -

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Ha! I've been to the UK twice and I've found it easier to give in and have tea at dinners than trying to obtain what I really preferred. I prefer my tea straight, with no milk or cream. Just some sugar.

Sean

Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
Remembering more: after the remark about "Tea Up!" the next remark was "It must be one of the local gods."
Ketlan thinks Wednesday for publication of "Political Legitimacy..."
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And for a time the Colonials over here shared the Brit passion for tea. The unfortunate business about the Tea Act and the war which began in 1775 helped to make many Americans prefer coffee. (Smiles)

Many thanks to Ketlan! Wednesday is fine!

Sean

Paul Shackley said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Paul Shackley said...

Sean,
I forgot to mention the Boston Tea Party! (Thoroughness is my watchword.)
Paul.

Paul Shackley said...

- although I have heard that there was also a Boston Coffee Party.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Of course I've heard of the Boston Tea Party, the Coffee Party in the same city was new to me! (Smiles)

Sean