Monday 15 February 2016

Cultural References

SM Stirling, Conquistador (New York, 2004), Chapter Twenty.

When Tom and his companions are chased by Indians, Roy Tully says that he has "'...fallen into a Lonesome Dove rerun...'" (p. 499) That meant nothing to me but apparently is highly significant. In my childhood, Western films and TV series were a big deal but now are old hat.

Tom says that the Indians look as if they are "'...auditioning for a remake of The Crow...'" (ibid.), a more recent film reference and one that I did recognize - a film based on a comic book.

This morning I will drive family members to the Lake District town of Kendal (nowadays the venue of a big annual international comics art festival) where I will meditate in a side chapel of the Parish Church containing the tomb of the grandfather of the sixth wife of Henry VIII. This evening, we will celebrate my granddaughter's birthday with a family meal. You might not read many posts today but please remember me enjoying myself!

No comments: